Update: Gus Yaki will give a presentation on Part Two of his Prairie Walk at the Birds & Beers meeting this Thursday. He spoke about Part One at our August meeting.
This spring, to celebrate Canada 150, Gus led a group of about 40 people on a walk along the southern Alberta border from Saskatchewan to British Columbia. Come out to hear about the birds and other wildlife they saw, and see photos of the trip.
The event will start at 6 pm and there will be lots of time for a meal or drink and a visit with your fellow birders before Gus speaks after 7 pm. We will be in the big Ballroom this time, so there’s plenty of room for everyone!
In addition, Dan Arndt will have 2018 Calendars featuring his best bird photos from the past year available for sale. Bring some extra cash and get one for yourself or for a gift.
The November Birds & Beers will be held next Thursday evening, November 23. This will be the last one until the new year. Anyone who wants to come for an informal chat with your fellow birders is welcome. Food and drinks are available, and children are welcome too if accompanied by an adult.
Royal Canadian Legion, Centennial Calgary Branch #285
9202 Horton Road SW
Thursday November 23, 2017, 6:00-9:00 pm
Boreal Chickadee by Dan Arndt.
If you’d like to see Gus’s presentation but can’t make it to Birds & Beers, he will also be speaking at The Wild Bird Store twice on Saturday, and at the Cochrane Public Library next Tuesday.
Part 2: From Writing-on-Stone Prov. Park to BC Border: 12 – 22 June 2017.
- 10am, and 2pm, Sat. 25Nov2017, Wild Bird Store new location, 5901 3rd Street SE, (SW corner of 58 Av & 3 St SE, Calgary). As seating is limited, please register by email at info[@]wildbirdstore.ca or phone at 403-640-2632.
- 6:30pm, Tue, 28Nov2017, Cochrane Public Library, 415 Railway St W, Cochrane. Organized by Glenbow Ranch Parks Foundation.
There are also three presentations about Part One of the talk coming up:
Part 1: From SK border to Writing-on-Stone Prov. Park: 19 to 29 May 2017.
- 7pm, Tue, 16Jan2018, Alberta Wilderness Association, 455 12 St NW, Calgary. Admission $5. Seating is limited. Please register, www.AlbertaWildernes.ca or phone 403-283-2025.
- 7pm, Wed, 14Feb2018, Friends of Fish Creek Prov. Park Soc., Environmental Learning Centre at Shannon Terrace, 13931 Woodpath Rd SW, Calgary, (access via 37 St. & 130 Av SW ). Admission $5; free for members. To register: www.friendsoffishcreek.org/event.east .
- 7:30pm, Wed, 21 Mar2018. Nature Calgary, Cardel Theater, 180 Quarry Park Blvd SE, Calgary. Map at http://cardeltheatre.com